Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Aug 2nd - Erin's Vacation

So I thought I would share a bit about the past two weeks. From Holland Jen and I flew to Ibiza to stay with my friend Gisella. Gisella and I went to UVic together but she grew up in Ibiza, so was home for a few weeks. We spent 4 lovely days lying on the beach and swimming in the ocean and getting into vacation mode Spanish style. After the first day in Spain I took off my watch and tried to just go with things. In Spain breakfast is whenever you get up (not early when on vacation!) Lunch is at around 3, then siesta for 3 or 4 hours. Dinner could start anywhere between 8 and midnight depending on how hot it was that day. It was great to just relax and not worry about the boat or being anywhere on time.

From here Jen and I split up. I headed to Dublin, where I have several friends and a relative. I stayed with my dear friend Kate who I met when she was working in Canada teaching sailing for the summer. Kate just completed medical school in April and has just started working as an intern; as have her four female housemates! In Dublin I also saw my cousin and his wife and family; another Irish friend who worked in Canada for the summer; and my friend Dana who I grew up sailing with in Calgary and who has been studying marine biology in Dublin for the past 5 years. It was awesome to catch up with some old friends and hang out in Dublin a city which I love. I went for a run in Phoenix park which is one of the largest walled city parks in Europe (thank you wikipedia) and contains a huge variety of things including the President of Ireland's house, the zoo, a 30 m cross, an abandoned fort and a herd of wild Fallow deer. Kate and I also saw the Museum of Modern Art which is in an old Veteran's Hospital and the National Botanical Gardens.

Ireland

Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment