Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Getting Ready for Gatineau

Jen here,

Today I am in Kelowna for one last day of visiting with family before I head to Gatineau, Quebec for the Athlete's CAN conference tomorrow.  I will act as the able bodied sailing representative and be travelling with Brenda Hopkins who will act as the disabled sailing representative.  This will be a great opportunity to meet athletes from all sports and from all across Canada. There will be opportunities to learn about sponsorship and fundraising, athlete selection criteria, and many other issues that arise while competing.  Brenda and I are both keen to share ideas with athletes from other sports, and to learn about how things are done within their own sporting organizations. 

Thursday will be an exciting day for me, as I volunteered to speak about sailing at the KidsCAN day. This is a day that is put on for students from grades 5-8 to learn about high level sport in Canada. We'll have the opportunity to speak with nearly 1000 students and to lead them through sport related activities.  My speaking partner, Ryan, is from Life Saving, and the two of us have devised a pretty tricky looking relay race/obstacle course for our students.  We'll let you know how it works out!

Cheers,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment